Posted on August 30, 2012 - by Lucy
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR DEATH IN FOUR COURSES
1. Hayley has mixed feelings about inviting her mother to the food writing conference. Why? How does this affect your feelings about her a character?
2. The role of food in the families of the conference speakers varies widely. How was food seen in your family? Who cooked the meals and what were they like? How has that history affected your relationship with food today?
3. What is your favorite recipe? Cookbook? Do you prefer to stick to old standbys or are you adventurous in cooking and eating?
4. How has Hayley changed since AN APPETITE FOR MURDER? Or hasn’t she? What would her best friends Eric and Connie say?
5. Hayley is surprised by her mother in several ways over the course of the book. Have you had an experience where someone close to you does something unexpected? Do you think this happened because you had a certain view of them that proved to be incorrect or because they actually changed?
6. Hayley’s friend Eric says “At first it might feel good to confess, but honesty can have terrible consequences for the people who have to hear the so-called honest truth. ” Do you agree? why or why not? How can we decide when telling the truth will cause more damage than good?
7. How does Hayley see her mother’s life choices at the beginning of the book? How does that change?
8. Which of the fictional speakers’ books would you be interested in reading? Which might you want to have at your book group meeting–and why?
Leave a Reply
Here's your chance to speak.